Tonight, Meghan and Prince Harry will sit down with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey for their first interview since stepping down as senior members of the Royal Family. The interview – titled Oprah with Meghan and Harry: A CBS Primetime Special – will air tonight in the US and tomorrow in the UK.
The topics on the table included their move to America, how Meghan felt stepping into royal life and how she’s handling the public pressure as their family grows.
Palace aides have now brushed off the interview as nothing more than a “sideshow” that will not register with the British public, amid growing concerns of Prince Philip’s health.
They said: “On Monday, most people in Britain will be thinking about schools going back, getting the vaccine and, at the Palace particularly, looking forward to the Duke of Edinburgh coming out of hospital.
“This is just a sideshow.”
The source added how they have no idea what the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will reveal in their interview with Oprah.
They added: “We haven’t got a clue what they say in the interview.
“But there is determination not to play their game.
“There is a very clear sense right from the top that it’s best not to react.”
Royal author Penny Junor said Harry will “come to regret” the interview just as Princess Diana did.
While trailers have teased what is to come from the interview, television insiders have predicted the worst is yet to come.
One US TV producer said: “It’s not like a movie where all the best bits are in the trailer.
“In programmes like this, they keep the real bombshells for the show.”
Last month, CBS released a statement: “Winfrey will speak with Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex, in a wide-ranging interview.
“Covering everything from stepping into life as a Royal, marriage, motherhood, philanthropic work to how she is handling life under intense public pressure.
“Later, the two are joined by Prince Harry as they speak about their move to the United States and their future hopes and dreams for their expanding family.”
Oprah attended Meghan and Harry’s 2018 wedding despite only knowing the couple for a short time beforehand.
It is believed CBS paid up to £6.5million for the rights to broadcast the interview and will be broadcast in more than 70 countries.
ITV – who will air it in the UK – is said to have paid £1million to screen it.