(By Bryan Eneas · CBC News · Saskatoon, SK – July22, 2022 – Used with Permission) –
Land at the Batoche National Historic Site, an area significant and close to Métis people’s hearts in Saskatchewan, will be transferred back to Métis control, the federal government announced Friday.
A federal news release said the transfer will include 690 hectares of land at Batoche, located 78 kilometres north of Saskatoon.
No fixed date for the transfer has yet been announced.
“The Batoche grounds have always been important to our Métis citizens, our history and the resistance,” Métis Nation-Saskatchewan president Glen McCallum said in a news release.
“The repatriation of Batoche lands is tangible and starts the path to reconciliation.”
McCallum said Métis people will determine what the best use of the repatriated lands is and that their ancestors’ ultimate sacrifices will be honoured.
The Métis Nation-Saskatchewan will specifically be responsible for lands on the western part of the National Historic Site.
- ‘Our people in this province are ready’: Métis Nation-Sask., Parks Canada to discuss future of Batoche
McCallum said discussions to take over more land at Batoche started roughly five years ago and he’s pleased with how quickly they progressed.
“It’s been really aggressive conversations around land and the government has been very [co-operative] and accommodating,” he said after Friday’s announcement.
“Five years, it’s not a long time.”
Batoche was founded in 1872 by Xavier Letendre, a Métis merchant who established a ferry service on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River at a village he nicknamed Batoche.
Batoche was where Louis Riel, Gabriel Dumont and a Métis provisional government battled with armed federal government forces, marking the end of the 1885 Northwest Resistance.
“These lands hold deep cultural, spiritual and historic significance for the citizens of the Métis Nation-Saskatchewan,” the federal government’s statement said.
“Parks Canada has long worked with Métis at Batoche National Historic Site, and this transfer of land and commitment to collaborative management marks a significant step in the ongoing relationship”
In 1996 the federal government transferred the Back to Batoche festival grounds to Métis ownership. That land is now managed by the Métis Nation-Saskatchewan. In 1998 Parks Canada and the Métis Nation-Saskatchewn entered into a shared management partnership agreement to maintain the historic site.
Minister of Northern Affairs and Prairies Economic Development Canada Dan Vandal said Parks Canada would continue to hold up its end of the shared management partnership agreement, while acting under the guidance of the Métis people.
Vandal and Minister of Environment and Climate Change Canada and Parks Canada Steven Guilbeault, as well as representatives from the provincial government, attended the 50th annual Back to Batoche event Friday at the national historic site, where the announcement was made.
Vandal, a Red River Métis man with ties to St. Boniface, Man., called the trek to Batoche a pilgrimage and said he was happy to be at the historic site for Friday’s announcement.
“A lot of my ancestors… they fought at Batoche, they were part of that historical resistance against the Canadian government,” Vandal said.
“Today, as a minister with the Canadian government, of course our values have changed tremendously over those 137 years, we’ve realized there’s a great opportunity to make amends, to move ahead in partnership.”
Northern Territory police minister Kate Worden, who is also the minister for domestic violence, said it had been a ‘heartbreaking week’ after two DV incidents. Photograph: Aaron Bunch/AAP
(By Sarah Krymalowski · CBC News · Iqaluit, NU - August 04, 2022 - Used with Permission) - It's up to a Nunavut judge...
According to the report, among all workers who earned at least $5,000 in 2019, more Indigenous workers (39.2 per cent) than non-Indigenous workers (33.9 per cent) received CERB payments.
A panel of First Nations chiefs and residential school survivors spoke to media Thursday. Elder Gordon Burnstick from Alexander First Nation, Rod Alexis from Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation, Chief Tony Alexis from Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation, Treaty 6 First Nations Grand Chief George Arcand Jr., Ermineskin Cree Nation Chief Randy Ermineskin, Louis Bull Tribe Chief Desmond Bull and Alexander First Nation elder Victoria Arcand spoke at the event. (Jamie McCannel/CBC)
Pope Francis will make stops in Alberta, Quebec and Nunavut from July 24 to 29 to apologize in person for the wrongs done to Indigenous people by Roman Catholic priests and nuns who ran abusive residential schools in Canada.
“So the evidence is there. You can see the way we are, our behaviours and how we walk through life, the struggles that we had, and the difficulties that we had — difficulties sometimes in learning, difficulties in relating to one another, difficulties in marriage, difficulties with alcohol.”
– Mabel Brown, residential school survivor